From Bogota: Zipaquirá Salt Cathedral & Villa de Leyva Tour1 Reviews
On this tour, spend a full day basking in Colombian wonders. First visit Villa de Leyva, a charming town famous for its cobblestone square Plaza Mayor. Next, wander below ground into the Zipaquirá Salt Cathedral.
- Enjoy the road to Villa de Leyva
- Visit Plaza Mayor, the largest main square in Colombia
- Discover the Zipaquirá Salt Cathedral, located 656 feet underground
- Learn the history behind the cathedral and the salt mining industry
DescriptionBegin your tour with hotel pick-up in the morning and a scenic drive out to Villa de Leyva. On the way, enjoy the delicious staple of arepas, corn cakes that are often grilled or fried. Upon arrival in Villa de Leyva, step out and walk through the ancient streets lined with colonial-style houses that have remained mostly untouched since their construction. Founded in 1572, Villa de Leyva is famous for its cobblestone square Plaza Mayor, which at 150,695 square feet is the largest in Colombia. Learn about the history of the charming town from your guide before moving on. Head next to Zipaquira, where you will wander below ground into an enormous salt mine. Your guide will teach you about the history of salt and salt mining as you explore the beautifully lit cavern, eventually reaching the salt cathedral. The church was originally built in 1932 as a place for miners to offer daily prayers and was inaugurated in 1954. Today it is a fully functional church with a weekly service held on Sundays. Spend time in the unique cathedral before returning to the surface and heading back to Bogota.
IncludesGuided tour of Villa de Leyva and Zipaquira Salt Cathedral Admission fees Snacks Round-trip transportation to and from your Bogota hotel Food and beverages not listed as inclusions Gratuities (optional)
- You must be able to walk on unpaved or uneven terrain
- Hotel pick-up is available from most centrally located Bogota hotels. Please arrange pick-up from your hotel or a nearby location when you call to confirm your reservation.
- This activity operates in most weather conditions
- You should wear comfortable walking shoes
- At the time of booking, please provide your hotel details as well as the name and date of birth of each customer
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability